Friday, May 26, 2017

The DS Ruins Everything: Toy Story 3

In a news series we look at how the PSP version of a game can differ wildly from those found on the DS version.

Today we look at Toy Story 3

I have to say without question Toy Story 3 PSP is one of my favorite games. It is the one I played the most. I enjoy the levels, the challenge the game throws at me, even though there are objects to collect in each level, it really isn't necessary to complete the level but it does effect the hub world.

Recently I had to chance to buy a copy of Toy Story 3 DS for a $1 and I want to see if there were any difference. While the PSP version is a solid 10/10 to me the DS version is 1.5 at best. Frankly there are levels that make no sense, like when one level where you climb up a closet is turned into climbing up the side of  a mountain. Every so often you come across an area called "Playtime". In short it is a level that even a 5 year olds would find boring. The goal is that you have to stop an enemy at charging at a house. You need to build weapons and place them to do the most damage. Also you can call on your friends to give yourself a better chance. Then there is frankly one of my favorite levels in the PSP version where you are trying to save your friends from being turned into garbage as in getting shredded. On the PSP every move has a purpose and it's dam fum. While on the DS it is an expedition to find those metal objects to save your friends. I think the biggest shocker to me is this is where the DS version ended. Unlike the PSP version that gives you one more level and it's fun.

By the way, Jessie the Cowgirl is missing from this game

Frankly I fully admit I am not the world's greatest gamer. But with unlimited lives and the gameplay is permanently set to easy. It seems like a train wreck even to me.

Here is a little comparison opening levels on both, naturally PSP first...


Now the DS




I even heard that versions of some games on the DS are even worse than this one. That is what future articles are for.