Thursday, February 7, 2019

Action Replay MAX for The PSP in 2019


Recently I purchased an Action Replay MAX for the PSP, in addition to curious how it actually worked as I could find nothing out there. I wanted to see what it was all about.

First of all, there are 2 models one with a 64MB and 1 GB model. I purchased the 64MB version as that was the only one I could find.


Besides the fancy metal case for it what I got was this
Install CD for my PC 
Media Manager for PS2 disc
USB to PSP Data cable
Instructions

I did find that the software easily installs both on Win 10 and Vista, and this is where my problems started. The software would not detect my PSP. I only found out later that this problem was caused by my PSP's firmware, which for the record is 6.61 and as it turns out the Action Replay Max will only work with Firmware no later than 6.30.  I had the same issue on the PS2 but more on that later.  This is when I found out what this software really did and I had to spend $12 to find out why. It downloaded PSP game saves off of the Codejunkies server. Which you can still do now on but only from GameFAQS and other sites minus the software. Also for the record, those game saves at Codejunkies are no longer available.

The Action Replay MAX software also features the ability to loaded photos, music and videos on the PSP. If you used a PSP for a while you know that adding both photos and music to a PSP is as simple as drop and drag. Videos are another issue, I found out that the Model 3000 actually requires some processing in order for a video to be added to a PSP. I can see this is a good substitute for Sony's Official PSP Media Manager as it is no longer available. As long as you have an earlier version of the PSP firmware installed.

Media Manager for PS2

The software really doesn't do much, you can manage what is saved on your PS2 Memory Cards. But also transfer saves between a PS2 Memory Card and a PSP, and no it cannot detect PS1 Memory Cards or even PS1 game saves transferred to a PS2 Memory Card they will be detected as corrupt data. But it can detect PS2 saves, might be a useful workaround for those seeking to transfer PS2 saves to a PS3 if they don't have a Memory Card to USB device. Like I stated earlier Media Manager did not detect my PSP I assume for the same issue on my PC.

Overall the Media Manager is interesting but it is far from practical even back in the day.